Do I pass on celebrity news full of scandals? Do I ever take part in spreading rumors or gossip? What should I do when someone talks to me about these things?
Although I have not been very interested in celebrity news. When I was a teenager, it was an interesting phenomenon. Unlike some people I know whose conversations were always engrossed with such updates, alhumdulillah I have been not so inclined to it. Now with children and other focus of life, celebrity news is the least of my concerns.
I have deliberately stopped the spreading of rumors to the extent that I do identify and shaitan does not incite me. The hukum of “assume good of another”, backbiting as a major sin and spreading rumors without verification seems like a new perspective. Where I always thought a thing to be harmless, it turns out to be the most harmful. Also with end results and consequences that are not so visible to me, and when they are it will be too late. So alhumdulillah, I realize that the tongue is a tool so I have to be cautious of BEFORE using it. I have to learn to use it. Just like one has to learn to use a hammer, if it strikes the wrong thing or in the wrong way, the effects of which can be fatal and maybe irreversible. The tongue is such a tool. It needs to be controlled.
Another thing I realize, that I do at times very unintentionally or very casually comment on something let’s say: How is so and so, and sometimes that is just enough for another individual to go flying with the topic.
- So I want to consciously avoid asking unnecessary updates from people. If I am so concerned about someone, I should call them up themselves or go visit rather than inquire from a 3rd party.
- Also, be aware of people who have a tendency to indulge in talking about others. I should try to avoid personalized discussions about others.
- I have to consciously refrain from it myself.
- Also before I spread something or say something, I should analyze – is this going to benefit me in any way? Will it benefit the other person in any way? Will this serve as khair for me in any way.
- I realize that talking about deen also curbs discussions. So keep the Qur’an a focus of discussion and all else will wash away itself as worthless information or junk.
May Allah give us the strength to implement this and also to recognize the wrong before we indulge in it.