A Decision Made Easy

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Farah Mughal Wafai

One of the miracles of the Qur’an is that it provides solutions for those who seek it. It is called hudan (guidance) and it is Al-Hakeem (the wise). Qur’an helps creates a furqan (the ability to decide) for the one seeking it. Here is how Qur’an becomes a part of everyday decision-making!

A friend of mine was throwing a surprise birthday party for her sister on Tuesday. She had asked everyone to meet up at 11 am., because they were planning to book a beach house and return home by Maghrib time. It sounded exciting!

I am a student of the Qur’an and attend classes regularly. Tuesday is one of my class days. Immediately, I realized if I go to this party, I will have to miss class. The irony of the situation was that my husband was also going.

“But I couldn’t possibly miss class! Everything I learn is so important that I cannot afford to miss even a minute of it , ” I thought to myself. Oh, what a confusion!

As I wondered over what I should do, I remembered the lesson I had recently learned:

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ قُل لِّأَزْوَاجِكَ إِن كُنتُنَّ تُرِدْنَ الْحَيَاةَ الدُّنْيَا وَزِينَتَهَا فَتَعَالَيْنَ أُمَتِّعْكُنَّ وَأُسَرِّحْكُنَّ سَرَاحًا جَمِيلًا 28

وَإِن كُنتُنَّ تُرِدْنَ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ وَالدَّارَ الْآخِرَةَ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ أَعَدَّ
لِلْمُحْسِنَاتِ مِنكُنَّ أَجْرًا عَظِيمًا 29

28. O Prophet! say to your wives, “If you should desire the worldly life and its adornment, then come, I will provide for you and give you a gracious release.”
29. “But if you desire Allah and His Messenger and the home of the Hereafter – then indeed, Allah has prepared for the doers of good among you a great reward.”
[Al-Quran – Al-Ahzab (The Combined Forces):28-29]

I marveled at how the Qur’an had yet again assisted in my decision! Alhamdulillah!

I called up my friend to tell her I was not able to come. The best thing was that I was very pleased and satisfied knowing I had made the right choice.

About Quran Reflections

Al-Huda's branch at Khayaban-e-Sehar is one of the few Quran courses being regularly conducted in Karachi, Pakistan, where the mode of instruction and examination is English. The students and teachers have decided to upload their reflections on the Quran and class notes on this blog, in order to be available to a global audience for the latter's benefit and inspiration.

8 Responses to A Decision Made Easy

1. Mariam says:

Also regularly reading dua of Istikhari to seek goodness in decisions is an important habit to inculcate- it helps make decisions easier and implementation is then with far more contentment.

2. Naheed says:

We are often faced with choosing between the dunya and akhirah. Alhamdulillah through the Quran we know which decisions really are the right ones.
    Jazakillah Khair for sharing your reflection. Now when I am in a similar situation, I’ll know what to do :).

3. Hiba says:

subhaanAllaah; first I thought that this aayah was exclusively for the wives of the Prophet (s.a.w.), but now I realize it has a message in it for us as well – in anything, we should prefer the Aakhirah over the worldly attractions.

4. Safia Kemal says:

@ Hiba. Asa, when you truly begin to internalize the Qur’an, you begin looking at these ayahs from a 1st person perspective. Qur’an is direct communication to people from Allah (SWT). It is meant for us as a guidance. In each letter, in each word, in each phrase, Allah is telling us something that we need to remember and inshallah implement. SubhanAllah!

5. Samreen says:

Its a very real and touching account of how you made a decision between duniya and akhira MashAllah. And truly it is in the simple things on a day to day basis where we really have to apply what we learn from the Quran. May Allah guide all of us to make the right choices in life. Ameen

6. amna says:

Thank you I was confused for making such a small decision either I should go around and shop for hrs and hrs or study now this is made easier for me to decide …
    quite helpful thankyou once again