بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
As summer is fast approaching, almost everyone has been asking me if I have made plans for the summer. Yet, when I come across this ayah (verse) in the Qur’an, I ask myself whether I have really made any plans for my afterlife.
قُلْ إِنَّ الْمَوْتَ الَّذِي تَفِرُّونَ مِنْهُ فَإِنَّهُ مُلَاقِيكُمْ ثُمَّ تُرَدُّونَ إِلَى عَالِمِ الْغَيْبِ وَالشَّهَادَةِ فَيُنَبِّئُكُم بِمَا كُنتُمْ تَعْمَلُونَ
Say, “Indeed, the death from which you flee – indeed, it will meet you. Then you will be returned to the Knower of the unseen and the witnessed, and He will inform you about what you used to do.”
[Al-Qur’an – Surat Al-Jumu’ah: 8]
Have I made plans for my death?
Not at all! Sometimes, when Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) sends me reminders through natural disasters, deaths in the family, or through the Qur’an, I get so shaken up that I tell myself that I better get my priorities straight. However, the impact remains for only a day or two, and then the Dunya (worldly life) intervenes. How many reminders will I need before I actually do start preparing for my death?
What can I do to prepare?
First and foremost, I need to make my primary focus the Akhirah (Hereafter). Things I need to do to attain Jannah (Paradise):
- Establish salah (prayer)
- Give zakah (obligatory charity)
- Perform Hajj (annual pilgrimage)
- Fast in the month of Ramadan
- Do good deeds
- Perform nawafil (voluntary acts of worship)
- Practice the Sunnahs (ways of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه و سلم))
- Give charity
- Learn, understand and implement the Qur’an
- Show obedience towards my parents
- Be respectful towards teachers, the elderly, the young, and neighbors
- Conserve natural resources and recycle
- Demonstrate beautiful manners, behavior and character
- Be humble and not show arrogance
- Accept my mistakes
- Seek forgiveness
- Work at the level of excellence.
- Increase my level of patience.
Am I prepared to meet my Lord today?
It saddens me to say that, no, I am not prepared to meet my Lord today! I have so much to do before I can meet my Rabb. May Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) make it easy for me to prepare for my death; may He give me the ability to do such acts that would earn His pleasure, and prevent me from such actions that would cause His displeasure. Ameen!